Monday, May 20, 2013

Going south



So after much thought, it looks like I will not be making it to the west coast... The very first day I left home and got to my first destination is was pouring rain and high winds, (which I was fine with) and that lasted the majority of the time I was there. After leaving north Carolina beach state park and making my way towards Raleigh, I drove through a monsoon. And after leaving there for Knoxville I drove through the winter storm Achilles, while on the top of a mountain I might add.
After staying in Knoxville for a week or so of beautiful weather. I departed from there to go to Nashville. Again the day I left, rain.
After leaving Nashville and going through Kentucky, And through
St. Louis I got to see the gateway arch ( man, pictures do not do that monster of a building any justice) but once I got out of ST. Louis It poured and was quite windy. And the possibilities of tornados became known while I was in Columbia M.O. which was right in the path of all the tornado warnings. So in order to try to bet the storm I left M.O. at 5:30 in the morning after being woken up by guns being shot in the air by fellow campers that partied a bit too hard the night before. So when I Left there I drove through Kansas city, (which by the way is not in Kansas.) And I was met by even more severe weather in Sioux falls where I stayed in a hotel instead of my tent for my safety. And Today when I left Sioux Falls. I encountered some of the most stressful weather I have ever had to deal with. At one point I did see a tornado start to form. The winds were just tossing my car around as if it were not even there. So driving through that for around 300 and some miles to get to Mount Rushmore and find that the service to my cell phone had been canceled due to excessive traveling. Was fun to say the least. So while at Mount Rushmore I hiked some of the trails, took beautiful pictures of the black hills of South Dakota, while fighting wind. Then I tried to find a way to get in contact with my worried family. Once I was able to speak to my mom I was informed that at my next stop it had been snowing... I know my limits. I have absolutely no experience in driving in snowy conditions especially while going through rough terrain like Yellowstone. So I’m headed south towards Denver after being on the road from 6:30 am to 10:45 P.M. I found a hotel in a tiny little one traffic light town somewhere in Wyoming to get out of the wind And get a bit of sleep.

The trip is not over, more pictures coming your way! - J.T.

1 comment:

  1. awww love you, little brother! Glad you are staying away from the scary weather!!!!!

    ReplyDelete